Friday, February 6, 2015

Murality Tale




      A mural project in Chennai recently brought together international artists and local painters who specialize in the arresting graphic art(called hoardings) that covers the city's bridges, walls and façades with visual veneration for political figures and parties as well as cinema stars (often one and the same.)

I met up with Axel Void who painted a portrait of an old, homeless women who sleeps in front of the Greenways railroad station. Axel is from Miami. As soon as I told him I'm from Baltimore, he asked if I knew "Martha." Turns out I do. He was referring to Marty Cooper, a pioneering photographer of graffiti in New York and around the world. She currently has a show in a Baltimore gallery!



Axel and friends. 


The old lady and her son. 



The mural.



My friends Rory and Elaine at Marty Cooper's opening reception. 

And here's Marty (center) with Elaine and her cousin.  Thanks to Elaine for the photo!




    

1 comment:

  1. To see the woman and the mural is great - and like the Baltimore connection!

    ReplyDelete