Friday, May 23, 2014

Farewell montage


 
       Spent late April, early May inhabiting two lives and two cities. As I planned to return home to Baltimore, in crept the fear that my life in India would quickly evaporate into a dream. So far, that  hasn't come true. Moments, sounds, street scenes leap to mind every so often, and my correspondence with students and friends continues. And I know I'll go back.

Some pieces of my final weeks in Chennai:


Goats call a cab home. 


Afternoon at the Theosophical Society.  


Visited Tara Books, publisher of beautiful books based on traditional tales. 



My friend Kaye came to visit from Delhi and we were treated to lunch and a makeover at Spa Alphonse. (My toes above.)



A carousel ride on Marina Beach with two of Alphonse's sisters. 

Paid a visit to S. A. Govindaraju's used bookstore.  Picked up a yellowed-paperback copy of "The Man-Eater of Malgudi" by R.K. Narayan.  (Photo courtesy of The Caravan)


In an old-school auditorium, watched a delightfully cheesy magic show. Lots of body parts detached and replaced, prestidigitation and telepathy galore.



My favorite tea stall  where "only ginger tea" is sold. 






  



A May Day salute to the drivers' union at my corner rickshaw stand, named after
Mother Teresa. 






Sweltering days meant heavenly, fresh mango juice. 

Rathna's: For all your kitchen needs. 


Grace feeding baby birds.  



Final, home-cooked meal, courtesy of Alphonse's youngest sister. 
                                                                                           


     

My street.

                 

                                            
                        Great reason to go home: Henry graduated from the College of Wooster! 











No comments:

Post a Comment